You will see
- A Maori Cultural Performance including the famous Haka
- Maarakai [vegetable garden] how we utilise the produce we grow
- Our art of Weaving [see how the Piupiu, dancing skirt is made]
- Our communal outdoor living area , Rahui [for cooking, bathing & laundry]
- Our village, homes & craft stores
- TheWar Memorial archway
- Views of Pohutu & Prince of Wales Geysers
- Wahiao - our ancestral Meeting House
Admission to the Living Maori village includes a fully guided tour and a Maori Cultural Performance Show held daily at 11.15am and 2.00pm. The Maori cultural Performance Show is performed by one of Rotorua's leading Kapa Haka groups - Te Pakira and includes waiata [songs] of our history, Patere [rhythmic chants], stick games, performance of the world famous HAKA and an audience participation section which is always a fun time.
Whakarewarewa is also the home of the world famous Pohutu Geyser and Prince of Wales Feathers Geyser, so there is the chance to see these in full eruption as they are absolutely amazing. With the steam from the bubbling pools and the smell of sulphur, it just adds to the overall experience.
Experience an authentic Living Maori Village where people live on a daily basis using the natural resources to cook, bathe and heat their homes on a daily basis.
You can also buy some food options at the village, such as Sweet corn on the cob cooked in Parekohuru one of our bubbling geothermal pools is available in the village on the day, or perhaps a Hangi Pie.
Or for a more substantial meal there is the traditional Hangi, the Hangi meal includes the world famous Whakarewarewa steam pudding, hangi cooked meats etc.
Once you have taken the guided tour through the village, enjoyed the traditional cultural performance and perhaps some of the tasty food, why not explore the extensive walking tracks of the Whakarewarewa valley to see the steaming lakes and stunning scenery from high viewpoints, over this truely amazing landscape.
- A guided tour around the village
- Guide map and information sheet if you want to tour on your own
- Seats at the Maori traditional concert
- Any meals, but you can buy steam cooked Corn and Hangi meals at the cafe
- Please indicate on your booking request which concert time you would like to attend, 11.15am or 2pm.
Experience Schedule Options
|start time||end time|
|Any time - advise on booking||09:00||17:00|
Activity Ticket Charges
|Adult price||NZ $40.00|
|Child price (5 to 15 yrs)||NZ $17.50|
Can we buy the food options when we arrive?
Yes, when you exchange your voucher for the entry ticket at the Entry office you can purchase the food options there.
How long should we allow to visit the destination?
We suggest a minimum of 2 hours if you are also doing the concert, this allows time for the guided tour, the concert, some time at the cafe and a walk around some of the valley paths. But you can stay all day if you wish, there's lots to see.