You will see
- Great scenery
- Kiwifruit orchards
- Tauranga and Mount Maunganui
- Waikato Farming landscapes
- Waikato River and lakes
- Waitomo Glow Worm Caves
Departing Tauranga the west coast region of Waitomo, we first cross the harbour bridge, which offers great views of The Mount, the volcanic core 232m high which marks the entrance to the harbour of Tauranga. Then climbing to over 1000 feet to cross the Kaimai mountain range which divides the Bay of Plenty coastal region from the Waikato district, the main dairy farming area of New Zealand.
Now down on the Waikato plains, we pass through the Cambridge area, home of many of New Zealand's finest horse racing stables, we cross New Zealand's largest river, the Waikato and continue on to the Waitomo valley.
Waitomo is famous for the extensive network of underground caverns and rivers. Formed tens of thousands of years ago but only discovered during the last century, the caves offer the perfect environment for Glow worms. We join a guided tour through one of the region's most impressive cave systems, before taking a cruise on the underground river where we will be able to see one of natures amazing sights, the Glow Worm.
Following the caves tour we head to Roselands Farm for a typical New Zealand BBQ lunch, dine in the gardens or in the panoramic restaurant with views across the deep valleys.
Leaving the Waitomo Valley we then travel back across the lush landscape of the Waikato to Tauranga and Mount Maunganui. Time permitting we will stop at a Kiwifruit orchard to see the fruit growing on the vines and also a honey centre to see the hives and taste some local products, before joining the ship.
If there are just a few of you interested in this tour and you would like to keep the costs down, then why not place a message on our "Tour Share" facility to find others on your ship to join you. You will first need to Register and create a "My Cruise" account. You could also post on sites like Cruise Critic or FaceBook.
- BBQ Lunch at Roselands Farm
- Comfortable air-conditioned transport
- Entry to the Glow Worm Caves and boat cruise
- Experienced guide
- Beer or wine with lunch, can be purchased if you wish
- Tours depart at the time shown on the web site unless this conflicts with the ships ETA or ETD, in which case the tour will operate so that you are back in port at least one hour before sailing. Please meet us at least 15 minutes prior to the departure time.
- This is a 8 hour tour so can only operate when the ship is in port long enough
- This tour includes walking, with some inclines, steps and narrow passages in the caves.
- This tour is not suitable for users of mobility scooters [unless very small collapsible ones] or electric wheelchairs. Folding manual wheelchairs can be accommodated, but passengers must be able to enter a coach or minibus using the standard steps. Our staff can assist. Access to some parts of the caves may not be possible.
please contact us for a quotation for your group
Is it suitable for children
Yes. They will particularly enjoy the glow worm caves.
Is there much walking?
This tour includes walking with some inclines, steps and narrow passages in the caves.
Are entry fees included
Are meals included?
A barbecue lunch is included; drinks are at your cost.
I can also visit Waitomo from Auckland, which is the best option?
You can visit Waitomo from both Auckland and Tauranga, the distance is quite similar but there are usually no traffic issues on the Tauranga tour, but in Auckland you have to traverse the city in peak hour traffic which can delay things, safer to choose this option from Tauranga.
Why is there a charge for infants up to the age of 3 years old.
We give parents the option to purchase an "infant" ticket as this then reserves a seat on the vehicle for the infant. If a ticket is not purchased then the infant may have to sit on their parents lap. If you have a suitable baby or infant seat, then this can be used, or you may be able to hire one from us. It is the parents choice as to how their children travel on our coaches and minibuses.
Our group is larger than 24 persons, can you do larger groups?
Yes we can do larger groups if needed. We have only listed rates for group up to 24 on most of our tours as above that number we need to quote specifically for each group. Just contact us with your requirements and we will be happy to assist.