You will see
- Beautiful natural underground scenery
- Cave creatures
- Glow worms
- Speleothems (stalactites and stalagmites)
World renowned and a magnet for both local and overseas visitors, the Waitomo Glowworm Caves occupy a high placing in the New Zealand vacation wish-list.
The glow worm, Arachnocampa luminosa, is unique to New Zealand. Thousands of these tiny creatures radiate their unmistakable luminescent light as our expert guides provide informative commentary on the Caves' historical and geological significance.
Waitomo Glowworm Caves are a must see for any traveller. Enjoy the world famous boat ride under thousands of magical glowworms and become a part of over 120 years of cultural and natural history.
THE BOAT RIDE
Marvel at Mother Nature's light display as you glide silently through the starry wonderland of the Glowworm Grotto. Meander underground along the Waitomo River and gaze in silence at the myriad of glow worm lights that make up the Glowworm Grotto. As you enter this galaxy of tiny living lights, you'll immediately experience a serene ambience and be fascinated and intrigued by tiny glowworms that light your way.
- It can be cool in the cave so please bring a jacket. Wear comfortable, flat shoes as you will be getting in and out of a boat as well as walking through the cave
- Tours depart every half hour daily from 9am-5pm. Please advise what time you would like when enquiring about availability .
- The cave is not suitable for wheelchair users
Experience Schedule Options
|start time||end time|
Activity Ticket Charges
|Adult price||NZ $51.00|
|Child price (4 to 14 yrs)||NZ $23.50|
Can I take photos inside the caves?
Photography and video are not permitted inside the Waitomo Glowworm Caves, but is allowed in the Ruakuri Cave and Aranui Caves.
How long is the tour through the caves?
Are the caves open every day?
Yes, we are open 365 days of the year