You will see
- Beautiful natural underground scenery
- Cave creatures
- Fine and delicate stalactites and stalagmites
- Glow worms
- Limestone Formations
- Walk down a man made spiral entrance way
To explore the Waitomo caves fully and safely, an organised tour will guarantee you an unforgettable experience.
Dry Cave Tours are about climbing and descending into darkness, while Stream Caves guide you along natural underground passages.
Tours vary in length and offer a chance to see subterranean wonders such as stalagmites, waterfalls and glow worms.
- It can be cool in the cave so please bring a jacket. Wear comfortable, flat shoes as you will be getting in and out of a boat as well as walking through the cave
- Tours run regularly throughout the day. Please advise what time you would like when checking availability
- Waitomo Glowworm Caves: Allow 45 minutes Ruakuri Cave: Allow 2 hours Ruakuri Cave tour times must be pre-booked, however, tours run every half hour through the Waitomo Glowworm Caves during opening hours.
- No smoking, food, drink or litter are permitted inside the caves
- Photography and video are not permitted inside the Waitomo Glowworm Caves, but is allowed in the Ruakuri Cave and Aranui Caves.
Experience Schedule Options
|start time||end time|
Activity Ticket Charges
|Adult price||NZ $91.00|
|Child price (4 to 14 yrs)||NZ $34.00|
Can I take photos inside the caves?
Photography and video are not permitted inside the Waitomo Glowworm Caves, but is allowed in the Ruakuri Cave and Aranui Cave.
I am in a wheelchair. Is it possible for me to get around on this walk?
With clever and innovative design, Ruakuri Cave has full wheelchair and pushchair access. Unfortunately Waitomo Caves does not.