You will see
- A protected scenic reserve and wildlife refuge
- Geothermal activity
- Steaming volcanic crater lakes
- Unspoilt natural wilderness
Walks vary in length:
800 metres to see several but not all of the most important geothermal features. This is a good option for elderly people. Allow 1 hour
1.5 kilometres which covers the most important area of geothermal features. Allow 1.5 hours
3.0 kilometres to see all the geothermal features. Allow 2 hours.
4.0 kilometres to see all geothermal features and view Lake Rotomahana. Allow 2.5 hours.
(Allow an additional 30 minutes on the 3 and 4 kilometre walks if you wish to include the Mt Haszard hike)
- Guidesheets available in English, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, French, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Slavak, Hebrew and Portugese
- Key Fact Sheets available in Swedish, Czech, Hungarian and Thai
- Transport to and from Waimangu Volcanic Valley. You could consider one of our self drive rental cars with a free and pre-programmed GPS
- Easy walking tours along the Waimangu Crater walkways, which are mainly downhill and flat
- Last admission for walk 1530 (1630 in January)
- Optional easy hike on the Mt Haszard Trail (uphill bush trail)
- The Waimangu shuttle bus will return walkers to the Waimangu entrance from the end of their walk/hike.
You can also use the Waimangu shuttle bus to transfer between points in the Valley thus reducing the walking distance
- This is a self guided walking tour using the guidesheets provided when you arrive. An English speaking guide can be booked however requires a minimum of 72 hours notice. Please enquire directly with us in regard to availability and price.
Experience Schedule Options
|start time||end time|
|Waimangu all day entry - any time||00:00||00:00|
Activity Ticket Charges
|Adult price||NZ $38.50|
|Child price (6 to 16 yrs)||NZ $12.00|
I am in a wheelchair. Is it possible for me to get around on this walk?
You will find the Valley Walk is accessible in part for chairs as the the path is flat/undulating
The Mt Haszard Hiking Trail is not accessible for wheelchairs
You must have their own competent wheelchair handler
You must be able to board the shuttle bus
Your wheelchair must fold or collapse