You will see
- A protected scenic reserve and wildlife refuge
- Beautiful Lake Rotomahana and learn about the 1886 Mount Tarawera Volcanic Eruption
- Geothermal activity and sights that can only be seen from the boat
- Steaming volcanic crater lakes
- Unspoilt natural wilderness
The 1886 Mt Tarawera Eruption changed Lake Rotomahana dramatically, exploding it to 20 times its size. The lake now covers approximately 15 coalescing craters formed during the eruption. Fifteen years after that massive eruption, the lake reached its current height and is now the deepest in New Zealand's North Island. Lake Rotomahana is the newest of all New Zealand's larger, naturally formed lakes - protected as a wildlife refuge, it is home to large numbers of birds all year round.
Take the Waimangu shuttle bus from the Waimangu Valley entrance to the boat on Lake Rotomahana. There is a short (approx 5 mins) flat walk from the shuttle bus to the boat.
Enjoy the 45 minute cruise with full commentary, voyaging around beautiful Lake Rotomahana. Learn about the 1886 eruption, view the geothermal sights that can only be seen from the boat and enjoy this protected wildlife refuge and scenic reserve.
Return walk from the boat to the bus and then transfer back to the Waimangu entrance.
- A full commentary in English on board the boat
- Guidesheets in English, German, Spanish, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian, Hebrew, Japanese, Mandarin and Korean
- Transport to and from Waimangu Volcanic Valley. You could consider one of our self drive rental cars with a free and pre-programmed GPS
- Children must be accompanied by a fare paying adult.
- Final check in time 15 minutes prior to departure time.
Experience Schedule Options
|start time||end time|
|Lake Rotomahana Boat Cruise 1000||10:00||11:45|
|Lake Rotomahana Boat Cruise 1100||11:00||12:45|
|Lake Rotomahana Boat Cruise 1250||12:50||14:35|
|Lake Rotomahana Boat Cruise 1330||13:30||15:15|
|Lake Rotomahana Boat Cruise 1425||14:25||16:10|
|Lake Rotomahana Boat Cruise 1515||15:15||17:00|
Activity Ticket Charges
|Adult price||NZ $45.00|
|Child price (6 to 16 yrs)||NZ $12.00|
I am in a wheelchair. Is the boat cruise suitable for me?
The boat cruise is accessible provided you have your own competent wheelchair handler.
You must be able to board the shuttle bus and climb the 6 steps up to the boat.
Your wheelchair must fold or collapse
What time do I need to be there before the boat departs?
You need to be there at least 15 minutes prior to departure time
How much time should I allow for this boat cruise?
The boat cruise is 1 hour 45 minutes so allow a little more time for the visitor centre and you may also which to consider the walking tour (additional charge).
What should I wear?
Comfortable clothing and a warm jacket as you will be on the water. Flat shoes would also be a good idea.