You will see
- Great views of the harbour
- Kiwifruit orchard
- Mount Maunganui beaches
- Tauranga City Sights
- Tauranga Harbour
- The battle site of Gate Pa.
- The Historic Elms Mission Station
After meeting your guide just outside the port gate, we depart along Pilot Bay where you can see the great views across Tauranga harbour to the city and Matakana Island.
We pass the foot of Mount Maunganui, the iconic landmark of this area where you can see evidence of the early Maori settlements around the base of the mountain and perhaps consider taking a walk to the summit at the end of our tour.
Traversing the narrow strip of land, passing the new high rise hotels and apartments, we reach the famous Mount Ocean beach, site of many major surfing competitions. A popular spot for locals to enjoy the beach front cafes and restaurants.
We continue along the very affluent "Marine Parade" where some of New Zealand's most expensive homes are located. When you see the view out across the Pacific Ocean you will realise why this is one of the country's most popular summer holiday destinations.
Leaving the Mount Maunganui suburb, we head across the harbour to the main city of Tauranga for our stop at the historic battle site of Gate Pa, one of New Zealand's most important battles between the Maori and British forces in 1864. The events of that day are explained by your guide and the interpretative panels as you wander along the ridge of Gate Pa.
A short drive north takes us to a Kiwifruit orchard where the guide will give you a short talk on this most iconic New Zealand fruit.
Next its up into the hills which surround Tauranga to a lookout where you will see stunning views of the city, the harbour and the surrounding region, with your cruise ship visible at the base of The Mount.
Our final stop on the tour will be the Elms Mission Station, this is one of New Zealand's most historic buildings and we have time to tour the gardens and learn about the early settlers of the region.
Please note that the above order of the visits may change on the day depending on the weather or other operational reasons.
If you are happy to take places on a shared tour then see our standard tour listing TRG-6.
- Air-conditioned transport
- Entry to The Elms Mission Station Gardens
- Experienced guide
- Any meals, but you can buy freshly made fruit ice creams at the Kiwifruit Orchard visit
- Entry to the Mission Station house and library.
- This is a general sightseeing trip with almost no walking required.
- Tours depart at the time shown on the web site unless this conflicts with the ships ETA or ETD, in which case the tour will operate so that you are back in port at least one hour before sailing. Please meet us at least 15 minutes prior to the departure time.
- If your group is larger than 26 persons then please contact us for a quotation.
- If you prefer an afternoon tour then check out our TRG-G6600.
please contact us for a quotation for your group
My group is larger than 26 persons, can you do larger groups?
Yes, most of our tours are small group programs, but we can offer the same tour program in most cases for groups greater than 26 persons, please contact us to obtain a quotation.