You will see
- A 270 degree panoramic view of the Bay of Plenty coastline from a scenic lookout
- A working kiwifruit orchard, along with a chance to buy a real fruit icecream
- Elms Mission Station, including a guided tour through the historic homestead
- Great views of the harbour and city
- Mount Maunganui beaches - some of the best in the world
- The historic battle site of Gate Pa
After meeting your guide just outside the port gate, we depart along Pilot Bay where you can see great views across Tauranga harbour to the city and Matakana Island. We pass 297m high Mount Maunganui, the iconic landmark of this area with visible evidence of the early Maori settlements around the base of the mountain.
Traversing the narrow strip of land between harbour and ocean, and passing the new high rise hotels and apartments, we reach the famous Mount Ocean beach - site of many major surfing competitions and a popular spot for locals and visitors to enjoy the beach front cafes and restaurants.
We continue along the very affluent "Marine Parade" where some of New Zealand's most expensive homes are located. When you see the view out across the Pacific Ocean you will realise why this is one of our most popular summer holiday destinations.
Leaving Mount Maunganui, we head across the harbour to the main city of Tauranga for our stop at the historic battle site of Gate Pa - one of New Zealand's most important battles between the Maori and British forces in 1864. The events of that day are explained by your guide and the interpretative panels as you wander along the ridge of Gate Pa.
We then take a short drive north to the outskirts of the city to a kiwifruit orchard where the guide will give you a short talk on this most iconic New Zealand fruit, perhaps while you enjoy a freshly made fruit ice-cream which can be purchased at the adjacent fresh produce shop.
Next we head up into the hills which surround Tauranga to a lookout where you will see stunning views of the city, the harbour and the surrounding region as well as your cruise ship berthed at Mount Maunganui.
Our final stop on the tour is the Elms Mission Station, one of New Zealand's most important historic sites. Here, one of the volunteer guides will take you on a tour of the grounds, the Mission House and the Mission Library (some of New Zealand's oldest buildings). We then board the coach for the short drive back over the harbour bridge to the ship.
Please note that the order of the tour may vary on certain days.
If you would to do this tour as an "Exclusive" tour then see the "Groups" tab and tour code TRG-G66.
- Air-conditioned transport
- Entry and guided tour of the Mission Station Grounds and House
- Experienced guide
- Full commentary
- Any meals, but you can buy ice-creams at the kiwi fruit orchard shop.
- If the afternoon tour plan does not suit you then you can book the morning tour TRG-6.
- This is a general sightseeing trip with almost no walking required.
- Tours depart at the time shown on the web site unless this conflicts with the ships ETA or ETD, in which case the tour will operate so that you are back in port at least one hour before sailing. Please meet us at least 15 minutes prior to the departure time.
- Child ages are 4 - 14 inclusive.
- If your group is larger than 26 persons then please contact us for a quotation.
- Infants 0 to 3 may travel FOC if seated on parents lap. Infant rate applies if a seat is required.
Standard Tour Schedule Options
|start time||end time|
| Note: Start and end times may be adjusted |
to suit ships ETA or ETD in port
Standard Tour Charges
|Adult price||NZ $75.00|
|Child price (4 to 14 yrs)||NZ $49.00|
|Infant price (0 to 3 yrs)||NZ $39.00|
| Note: Infant ticket ensures a seat |
Without a ticket an infant may have to sit on a parents lap
|Family price (max adults 2 max children 2)||NZ $225.00|
Standard Tour Group Discounts
|11+ persons||10.00 %|
Had the best plums at the fruit shop since I was a kid. Tell everyone!
B Mason, Australia [Mar 17]
P Menzies, Australia [Feb 17]
B Nga & T Nguyen, Australia [Jan 17]
Our ship departs 4pm which is before this tour ends, can we still book it?
When a ship is arriving or departing at times that do not suit our normal tour times, then we adjust these times to suit. These adjusted times are shown on your voucher when you make a booking and also on the "prices" tab of the tour details on the web site, if you have created a "my cruise" account.
Can we see inside the Mission Station?
Not on this tour, due to time constraints we only view the buildings from the outside but you can enjoy the extensive grounds during the visit.