You will see
- Blue Baths & Rachel's Pool
- Flax weaving
- Geothermal pools & geysers
- Government Gardens
- Kiwifruit orchards
- Rotorua Bath House
- Rotorua City and Lake
- Stunning geothermal lakes at Wai-O-Tapu
- World famous Lady Knox geyser
Your tour begins when we greet you just outside the port gates and introduce you to your guide for this small group tour to see the highlights of Rotorua's amazing geothermal landscape.
The first destination is the geothermal wonderland of Wai-O-Tapu, here we will first experience the eruption of the world famous Lady Knox Geyser, which erupts each day around 10.15am. You will learn how this natural geothermal event can be so prompt with its display each day, for the benefit of the 100's of visitors. Please note that due to ship arrival times it may not always be possible to get to Wai-O-Tapu in time for the geyser.
Its just a short transfer to the main part of Wai-O-Tapu, which Trip Advisor says "One of the 20 Most SURREAL Places in the World". Here your guide will take you on a slow amble to see the unique landscape sculptured out of volcanic activity over thousands of years. Wai-O-Tapu is considered to be New Zealand’s most colourful and diverse geothermal sightseeing attraction.
Time for a light lunch [your cost] at the Wai-O-Tapu cafe which overlooks native New Zealand forest before a short drive back to Whakarewarewa geothermal valley and location of The Living Maori Village, our destination for the afternoon.
Here we will be met by our Maori guide who will take us through this unique destination on a one hour guided walk of the village, where for over 200 years the Tuhourangi/Ngati Wahiao tribe have welcomed visitors into their backyard.
You will experience an authentic Living Maori Village where people live on a daily basis using the natural resources to cook, bathe and heat their homes. We also include a traditional cultural performance set in the heart of the village where you will see the fearsome Haka, plus dance, song and much more.
You will be able to view the geothermal wonders of Whakarewarewa Valley, including the world famous Pohutu geyser, boiling mud-pools, steam vents and bubbling pools with names such as Parekohuru and Korotiotio.
Before returning to Tauranga we will show you highlights of Rotorua city such as the Government Gardens, the Historic Bath House, Rotorua Museum, the Blue Baths and Rachel's Pool.
If you would to do this tour as an "Exclusive" tour then see the "Groups" tab and tour code TRG-G15.
- Entry to Whakarewarewa Living Maori Village and Wai-O-Tapu
- Experienced Private Guide
- Guided tour of Whakarewarewa
- Maori Cultural Performance
- Lunch, but time allowed to buy your own
- This tour requires some walking on well made paths, gentle inclines and some steps.
- Tours depart at the time shown on the web site unless this conflicts with the ships ETA or ETD, in which case the tour will operate so that you are back in port at least one hour before sailing. Please meet us at least 15 minutes prior to the departure time.
- As the Lady Knox Geyser erupts at 10.15am everyday we may not be able to guarantee seeing this erupt if the tour departure time does not suit.
- If your group is larger than 24 persons then please contact us for a quotation.
- Infants 0 to 3 may travel FOC if seated on parents lap. Infant rate applies if a seat is required.
- This tour is not suitable for users of mobility scooters [unless very small collapsible ones] or electric wheelchairs. Folding manual wheelchairs can be accommodated, but passengers must be able to enter a coach or minibus using the standard steps. Our staff can assist.
Standard Tour Schedule Options
|start time||end time|
| Note: Start and end times may be adjusted |
to suit ships ETA or ETD in port
Standard Tour Charges
|Adult price||NZ $199.00|
|Child price (4 to 14 yrs)||NZ $149.00|
|Infant price (0 to 3 yrs)||NZ $89.00|
| Note: Infant ticket ensures a seat |
Without a ticket an infant may have to sit on a parents lap
|Family price (max adults 2 max children 2)||NZ $625.00|
Standard Tour Group Discounts
|11+ persons||10.00 %|
I'm not able to walk very far.
While the tour requires some walking it is on well made paths and distances are not great, just a few hundred meters. There is also a short walk option at Wai-O-Tapu if you wish.
Are entry fees included
Yes entry to Whakarewarewa village and Wai-O-Tapu.
What if the ships arrival and departure times do not match this tour.
When a ship is arriving or departing at times that do not suit our normal tour times, then we adjust these times to suit. These adjusted times are shown on your voucher when you make a booking and also on the "prices" tab of the tour details on the web site, if you have created a "my cruise" account. If the tour starts later than 8.30am then we may not arrive in time to see the Lady Knox geyser erupt at Wai-O-Tapu.
Why is there a charge for infants up to the age of 3 years old.
We give parents the option to purchase an "infant" ticket as this then reserves a seat on the vehicle for the infant. If a ticket is not purchased then the infant may have to sit on their parents lap. If you have a suitable baby or infant seat, then this can be used, or you may be able to hire one from us. It is the parents choice as to how their children travel on our coaches and minibuses.
My group is larger than 24 persons, can you do larger groups?
Yes, most of our tours are small group programs, but we can offer the same tour program in most cases for groups greater than 24 persons, please contact us to obtain a quotation.