You will see
- Blue Baths
- Geysers and Mudpools
- Government gardens
- Kiwi fruit orchards
- Lake Rotorua
- Maori culture performance
- New Zealand Kiwi bird
- Rotorua Bath House
- Rotorua City
- The Agrodome
- Working sheep dogs and other NZ farm animals
Departing Tauranga for Rotorua, passing through the Te Puke region, the home of the New Zealand Kiwifruit where you will see many of the orchards growing this iconic New Zealand fruit.
We continue through farmland, native bush and forested areas, passing by Lake Rotoiti and Lake Rotorua before arriving at Te Whakarewarewa - Te Puia.
Te Puia, the home of the Maori Arts and Crafts Institute and the location of the famous Pohutu geyser. We visit the carving school and see craftsman fashion traditional wood carvings, then move on to watch Maori women demonstrate flax weaving.
A short walk through the geothermal valley of Whakarewarewa to view the mud pools, the famous Pohutu geyser and hot pools that make Te Puia unique. See New Zealand's iconic flightless bird, the Kiwi in a purpose built kiwi-house. Explore the recreated traditional Maori fortified village.
A Maori Cultural Performance will be given on the Marae, in one of the few fully carved meeting houses in New Zealand, a place of special spiritual significance to Maori. Here you will see the traditional songs, dances and demonstrations of fighting skills [including the Haka] performed.
There is time at Te Puia to enjoy a light lunch at their cafe.[at your own cost].
After lunch we drive through Rotorua City to the Agrodome where we will enjoy the Sheep Show and understand more about farming life in New Zealand. This is an award winning, premier farming destination which even gives you the opportunity to touch the animals. A great experience for the whole family.
The tour then departs Rotorua for the return to Tauranga. On the way we tour through Mount Maunganui to view its famous ocean beaches, harbour and the iconic Mount Maunganui, an extinct volcanic core, which gives the area its name.
- Air-conditioned transport
- Collection and drop off from the ship
- Entry to Te Puia and Maori Concert
- Experienced private guide
- Sheep Show at the Agrodome
- Agrodome Farm Tour
- No meals are included in this tour but time is provided for you to buy a snack lunch at the Te Puia cafe.
- The meeting point for the tour is just outside the port pedestrian exit gate in Salisbury Avenue
- Tours depart at the time shown on the web site unless this conflicts with the ships ETA or ETD, in which case the tour will operate so that you are back in port at least one hour before sailing. Please meet us at least 15 minutes prior to the departure time.
- This tour is not suitable for users of mobility scooters [unless very small collapsible ones] or electric wheelchairs. Folding manual wheelchairs can be accommodated, but passengers must be able to enter a coach or minibus using the standard steps. Our staff can assist.
- You can also book a traditional Hangi lunch to enjoy at Te Puia, see here Te Puia Hangi Lunch
please contact us for a quotation for your group
Is it suitable for children
Yes they will especially love the sheep show
Will I be collected and dropped off at the ship?
We meet all passengers on our shared tours just outside the port pedestrian exit gate in Salisbury Avenue, this is also the drop off point at the end of the tour, just a short walk from the ships gangway.
There are no meals included in this tour, will I be able to buy lunch somewhere?
Yes, we have some free time down by the lake where you can buy lunch at a local cafe.
Is this tour suitable for wheelchair users?
If you are able to board a small coach or minibus with assistance then we are happy to store any folding wheelchair in the vehicle. The destinations have well made paths suitable for wheelchairs.
Can we have a traditional Hangi Lunch at Te Puia on this tour?
Yes this is possible, but due to the high demand and limited availability you will need to book this when you book this tour. You can do this on the "tickets" tab for the Tauranga/Rotorua ports of call page. Its at the bottom of the page and its code is TRG-T998, the cost is $17 NZ per person, be warned - the portions are large!
What if our ship time does not match the tour times?
When a ship is arriving or departing at times that do not suit our normal tour times, then we adjust these times to suit. These adjusted times are shown on your voucher when you make a booking and also on the "prices" tab of the tour details on the web site, if you have created a "my cruise" account.