You will see
- Bagg End & Hobbit Holes
- Great scenery
- Hobbiton Movie Set
- Sheep farms
- Tauranga & Mount Maunganui
- The Green Dragon Pub
- The Party Tree
Departing Tauranga, we first cross the harbour bridge, which offers great views of The Mount, the volcanic core 232m high which marks the entrance to the harbour of Tauranga. We then climb up to over 1000 feet to cross the Kaimai mountain range which divides the Bay of Plenty coastal region from the Waikato district, the main dairy farming area of New Zealand.
We soon arrive at Hobbiton, the movie set location for the village in the Lord of The Rings films and of course The Hobbit movie trilogy.
Here we will be met by our guide at the Shires Rest for an informative tour around the movie set location. Stand under the party tree, walk past the Hobbit holes, imagine yourself among the characters.
Nestled deep in the rolling hills of the Waikato, this location was chosen for it unblemished landscape. The tours ends at the Green Dragon Pub where you can enjoy a Hobbit Ale and a light lunch [your cost] if you wish.
We then start the journey back to Tauranga, stopping at the summit of the Kaimai ranges at over 1000ft above sea level for some great photo opportunities overlooking the valley far below and extinct Volcanoes in the distance.
Time permitting we also stop at a local honey centre to see the hives and taste some of the special local Manuka honey, and perhaps indulge in a tasty honey ice cream.
Finally we return to the ship, passing millionaires waterfront homes lining the beautiful golden sand beaches of Mount Maunganui.
- 2 hour guided tour of Hobbiton Movie Set
- A tankard of Hobbit Ale at the Green Dragon
- Air-conditioned transport
- Experienced guide
- No meals are included in this tour but time is allowed to buy lunch at the Shire's Rest Cafe or Green Dragon Pub
- Please meet us at least 15 minutes prior to the departure time.
- This tour includes walking, with some inclines and steps on unmade paths
- This tour is not suitable for users of mobility scooters [unless very small collapsible ones] or electric wheelchairs.
please contact us for a quotation for your group
Are entry fees included?
Yes, but no meals are included.
Is it suitable for children?
Yes - they will enjoy visiting the film sets.
Are meals included?
No meals are included in this tour but time is allowed to buy lunch at the Green Dragon Pub and to enjoy a glass of Hobbit Ale or Cider.
Is there much walking?
This tour includes walking, with some inclines and steps on unformed paths.