You will see
- Blue Baths & Rachels Pool
- Flax weaving & wood carving
- Government Gardens & Bath House
- Guysers and mud pools
- Native NZ Kiwi bird
- Rotorua city sights & lake
Departing from the main Port Gates, just a few minutes walk from the ship, we begin with a short drive through the beach suburb of Mount Maunganui, past millionaires waterfront homes and golden beaches.
Our coastal route takes us through the Te Puke region, home of the New Zealand Kiwifruit industry and then continues through farmland, native bush and forested areas to Lake Rotoiti. Here we stop for a short walk through the bush to view waterfalls on the Kaituna river as it drops through the narrow gorge.
We then continue past Lake Rotorua to Te Puia, Rotorua's most famous geothermal destination situated at Te Whakarewarewa.
Te Puia is also the Maori Arts and Crafts Institute and the location of the famous Pohutu geyser. We can visit the carving school and see craftsman at work, and the watch traditional flax weaving.
our tour through the geothermal valley will show us the mud pools, the famous Pohutu geyser and the hot pools that make Te Puia unique. We will also be able to see New Zealand's iconic flightless bird, the Kiwi in a purpose built Kiwi-house and explore the recreated traditional Maori fortified village.
Seats are reserved for a Maori Cultural Performance; given on the Marae, in one of the few fully carved meeting houses in New Zealand, a place of special spiritual significance. Here you will see the traditional songs, dances and demonstrations of fighting skills [including the Haka] performed.
Lunch is a traditional Hangi meal, cooked in the geothermal steam as it has been for centuries. Vegetarian meal options are available.
After lunch we explore Rotorua city to see the Government Gardens, the Rotorua Bath House [now a museum], Rachel's Pool, the Blue Baths and other landmarks depending on the time available.
Departing Rotorua, we return to Tauranga by an alternative scenic route over hills and through deep gorges to the visit a winery where you will be able to taste many of the award winning wines.
Its then just a short drive back to the port to rejoin your ship.
- Air conditioned vehicle
- Collection and drop off at the port
- Hangi Lunch or vegetarian option
- Maori Cultural Performance
- Te Puia entry and tour
- Wine Tasting
- Your own personal guide
- Any beverages with lunch
- Please advise when booking if a vegetarian lunch option is required.
- This tour requires some walking on well made paths, gentle inclines and some steps. The walk to the waterfall is about a 10 minute gentle stroll.
- Tours depart at the time shown on the web site unless this conflicts with the ships ETA or ETD, in which case the tour will operate so that you are back in port at least one hour before sailing. Please meet us at least 15 minutes prior to the departure time.
- The wine tasting component is not allowed for persons under 18 years of age. Soft drinks are available though.
- This tour is not suitable for users of mobility scooters [unless very small collapsible ones] or electric wheelchairs. Folding manual wheelchairs can be accommodated, but passengers must be able to enter a coach or minibus using the standard steps. Our staff can assist.
please contact us for a quotation for your group
I'm not able to walk very far.
While the tour requires some walking it is on well made paths. The longest walk is about 10 minutes to the waterfall viewpoint, but this is optional. There are steps down to the river though.
Are entry fees included
Yes entry to Te Puia is included, this also includes the maori cultural performance and the Hangi lunch. The wine tasting fee is also included.
Is this tour suitable for wheelchair users?
If you are able to board a small coach or minibus with assistance then we are happy to store any folding wheelchair in the vehicle. The destinations have well made paths suitable for wheelchairs. the walk to the waterfall is possible on the path but you would not be able to go down the steps to the river.
What if the ships arrival and departure times do not match this tour.
If you ship is arriving or departing at times that make our standard tours time unsuitable, then we will adjust them to suit. this may be to operate the tour earlier OR later than the norm. If you are concerned about this then please contact us in advance. We have not missed a ship in 13 years, so no need to worry. As a private tour we can adjust things to suit you.