You will see
- Baldwin Street
- Botanic Gardens
- Dunedin City
- Dunedin Railway Station
- Otago University
- Speights Brewery
- What you want to see and visit
The Hop On Hop Off service begins with the transfer from Port Chalmers to the Dunedin City centre, where you can then spend the rest of the day Hopping on and off the Dunedin City Hopper as you wish.
The departure times are scheduled to work in with all ship arrivals to Port Chalmers as the ships arrival does vary, but usually every 30 minutes from 8.45am to 10.30am.
We will always have you back in plenty of time at the end of the day and your driver/guide will give you details of the return times to the ship. Transfers back to the ship depart from The Octagon in the city centre and usually start at 2.30pm through to 4.45pm. There will be a cruise co-ordinator in the Octagon to help schedule your return transfer.
The scheduled stops on the route are:
The Octagon [for St.Pauls and Town Hall]
George Street [shopping]
Knox Church [for Olveston House]
*Baldwin Street [world's steepest]
*Railway Station [for Cadbury's & Otago Settlers Museum]
Speight's Brewery [for the Casino]
*The Octagon [end of circuit]
Stops marked with a * are "feature" stops where we allow 5 minutes for photos. If you want to spend longer at these locations you can just wait for the next bus on the circuit which usually run at 30 minute intervals.
- Full commentary during the inner city tour
- From 10.30 am the service departs every 30 minutes from the Octagon in the city centre.
- Information is provided on the day regarding the last running time for the bus, so you can be back to the ship in good time.
- Please note that this tour IS operating on Christmas day, 25th December.
- The service normally operates every 30 minutes from 8.45am at the Port until 10.30am. After 10.30am the service operates only from The Octagon in the city centre, not from the ship. On certain [quiet] days the service may operate only every 60 minutes.
- If you do not manage to catch any of the transfers from Port Chalmers to Dunedin City [usually between 9am and 10.30am] then you can also use the shuttles provided by the ship [there may be a charge] or take a taxi or local bus to join the Hop On Hop Off service in the city at the Octagon.
Standard Tour Schedule Options
|start time||end time|
| Note: Start and end times may be adjusted |
to suit ships ETA or ETD in port
Standard Tour Charges
|Adult price||NZ $45.00|
|Child price (5 to 14 yrs)||NZ $20.00|
How many times can I ride on the bus?
You can get on and off as you want throughout the day, but be sure to check with the driver the time of the last return bus to the ship at Port Chalmers.
How long does it take to get from the port to Dunedin City Centre?
The time depends on traffic on the day but you should allow 15 to 20 minutes for this.
Where do we find the bus at the port?
the Hop On Hop Off vehicles are located adjacent to the i-site marquee which is just a short walk from the ships gangway. The local ambassadors will be able to direct you.
Where do we find the bus in the city to get back to the ship?
The return transfers from the city depart from the Octagon [the main square in the city centre] and you will have no problem finding the bus.
Can we visit any of the destinations you travel pass?
Yes, but entry tickets are not included in the Hop On Hop Off service. You can buy these on the day at each destination.